Friday, September 27, 2013

Marathons (WFMAD Day 26)

I love marathons. The television kind, not the running kind. (I'm not built for running.)

The best kind of marathons are the kind I make for myself. I mean, official marathons on TV stations are great--I did get a Phineas and Ferb marathon on my birthday, after all--but have you ever cnoticed that most of them play the same four episodes over and over and over again? If I'm going to watch an 8-hour marathon, I'm gonna want some variety, thank you very much.

My favourite way to watch any show is to marathon it--to spend hours to days to weeks doing almost nothing but watching the series. Go big or go home, as they say. (Although I guess in this case I'm normally already home...but you get the idea.) 

The only problem with this method is that when it does come time to pull myself away--to work, to bathe, to get that valuable sleep that I so desperately need--it's extremely difficult. Never mind the whole laziness factor--because come on, the last thing you want to do after sitting on the couch for so long is get up--but after immersing myself in the story for so long, I just can't bear to pull myself away. Plus, there's the fact that every time I decide to stop watching, the current episode ends in a cliffhanger. A cliffhanger! How am I supposed to stop watching when the next episode is so readily available?!

The thing I probably marathon the most is YouTube videos. They're so short and funny and well made; it's impossible to "just watch one", and anyone who tells you otherwise is lying.

I do a similar thing with reading, too. I don't read nearly as much as I used to, but when I do, I finish my entire book in a day (give or take). I'll go without reading for weeks, then pick up a book and have it done within the hour. (Please note the exaggeration.)

It all comes down to the story being told, basically. If I like the story, I'll go through it quickly. If I don't like it as much, it'll take me a million times longer (if I don't give up on it entirely).

I mean, why take your time with an amazing piece of work when you can speed through it in a day and cry when it's done? (That should be my motto.)


Until later,

- Justyne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...