Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Holy Crap Why Did I Do This (WFMAD Day 10)

It's that time.

That time, during any challenge I commit myself to, that I ask myself a simple question:

"Why oh why oh WHY did I agree to this?!?"

It's always easy in the beginning.

"Hey, this looks like fun! I'll give it a shot."

I never really think about it too much.

"Wow, this is easy! I'll nail this challenge, no problem!"

But eventually, the time comes. The time when you start staring at a blank document for hours upon hours, every day. When your daily goal isn't accomplished quickly and painlessly, at the start of your day, but mere minutes before you go to bed at night; if you even complete it at all.

Just as I have these problems with NaNoWriMo--which eventually leads to me writing 13k words in a day, which isn't all bad--I also find myself having troubles with WFMAD, this month. Some days have been easier than others; some days I finished the post early, had a chance to read it over carefully, and was able to post it without any problems at all. Other days, however, are filled with struggle; I spend the greater part of the afternoon wrangling words into sentences, failing to succeed before heading to work. My supper break is then filled with more wrangling, as I type furiously into my phone, followed by more of the same once I get home. Finally, the blog is updated; late into the night, when I should really be asleep.

I always imagine writing as easier than it actually is. I picture myself typing away furiously, the words flowing quickly and painlessly onto the paper. I'm always harshly awoken from my little fantasy the second I sit down to write, the blinking cursor taunting and torturing me as it refuses to reveal any more words of the story. 

This is the hardest part of any challenge I commit myself to; tredging on, even when writer's block stands in my way, and I'd rather do just about anything else.

It takes perseverance, and determination.  And I think it provides a test, of some sort; can you commit to finishing what you start?

I sure hope so.

Until later,

- Justyne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...