Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Clichés (WFMAD Day 3)

Whenever I pictured being a writer--like a professional writer, who doesn't need a second job to pay the bills--I pictured several different scenarios:

  • Sitting in my pyjamas all day, every day, writing. (I have since realized that this is pretty much not going to happen and am only minorly disappointed about this.)
  • Living in a car, driving all over the continent, while writing. (Judging from the fact that I don't know how to drive yet this is also fairly improbable.)
  • Sitting in a coffee shop, typing away at my computer, while elegantly sipping...well, coffee. (This is probably the most, if not the only likely scenario of the three.)

Of the three of them, I think the last one is probably the most clichéd of all writer stereotypes. I always, always hear people on twitter and in interviews and on other blogs talking about how they go to their local Starbucks or Tim Hortons to get their writing done. It's always seemed like the writerly thing to do. 

And so the other day, finding myself with the day off and quite a bit of time to spare, I hopped on my bike and rode on down to the local Tim Hortons, buying myself an iced capp and writing there for about an hour.

That's right. I did the cliché writer thing.

It actually worked out a lot better than I originally expected. There wasn't a drastic increase in the writing I produced, but it provided a nice little atmosphere that I enjoyed. I have trouble sometimes with finding a balance between dead silence and too much noise, and I think that all of the background noise from the restaurant--the people chatting, the workers taking orders, etc etc--formed that balance, which was fantastic.

Of course, that didn't stop me from getting distracted by Twitter, but I digress.

I can definitely see myself going back to Timmies to write sometime, but how soon that actually happens depends on my work schedule and how lazy I am.

Because let's face it: I'm really, really lazy.

Until later,

- Justyne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...