Friday, September 26, 2014

Writing Out of Order (BEDS #26)

Sometimes I have trouble deciding what order to write my story in. Generally, when I start a story, I already know what's coming--where it starts, where it ends, and a few choice scenes in the middle.

In theory, I have it all planned out. In theory, I should be able to write it all down in no time.

In reality? Not so much.

There are blanks. There are tiny, itty-bitty gaps that fall between the things that I know for sure are going to happen. It's like I know where I'm going, but not necessarily how to get there.

This isn't always a bad thing. The scenes that are stuck in my head are the things that get me excited to start writing, after all. But my entire life, I have found myself writing chronologically. I write things in the order they happen, because that's what makes sense to me. The little gaps are exactly the reason I don't like writing, say, the climax before I've written the rest--because what if something changes? What if some tiny event happens and I find later that I have to reference it later?

Well, I could just go back and change it. But apparently, that would be too easy.

So instead, I write it all in order. I start from the beginning, and proceed through the story as I would like it to play out. There's nothing wrong with this. It's almost more fun this way, because I have the exciting scenes pushing me to keep going.

But then I hit the gaps. I stumble. I struggle. I try to figure out, desperately, what direction the story has to take to get to where it needs to go. I get frustrated. I walk away, and I don't always come back.

So clearly, this is a problem.

I've always been hesitant to write scenes out of order. I'm always scared that if I write the scene I'm most excited for first, I won't have anything to look forward to later. But lately, I've been experimenting with different things, and writing out of order is one of them. I've written several scenes for my WIP that take place much, much later in the story.

On the one hand, writing the big scenes in advance give me something more physical to build up to, which has proved useful. But at the same time, filling in the gaps isn't any easier than it was when I was going the chronological route.

Those pesky gaps, huh. Maybe my outline will help me figure those out.


Fellow writers! Do you write chronologically, or do you write the scenes as they come to you, in any order? More importantly, why do you favour one over the other?

Until later,

- Justyne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...