Saturday, September 27, 2014

Things That Annoy Me (And Others That Don't) (BEDS #27)

It's pretty much a given that if you choose a less common career path--like writing--people are going to be curious. People are going to ask questions, and a lot of them...well, a lot of them get repeated, over and over. So, understandably, a lot of writers start to get annoyed.

Some of the questions people seem to get annoyed by, though, are ones that I don't really mind. Questions like:

"Can you make me a character in your book?"

I'm amazed that people find this question annoying, to be honest. I love putting little easter eggs in my writing--even if one of them is an actual person that I know in real life. If anything, it gives me a sure-fire way to see if someone has actually read my stuff.

So yeah, if you want, I'll turn you into a crazy serial killer in my next book. It'll make things interesting.

"What are you writing about?"

I actually adore talking about my stories and I will talk your ear off, given the chance. The only issue I have is settling with a simple, short synopsis that will portray all of the information I feel you need to know about it.

(So basically, don't ask me this question unless you're prepared for a solid five minute answer.)

I'd rather people ask me these questions. It feels like they're showing an interest in what I do. I'd take that over any form of negativity any day.

Don't get me wrong, though--over time, some questions have gotten a little old. Questions like:

"Are you going to school?" (Or pretty much any other question regarding my future education / career path.)

Let me start off by saying that this is a TOTALLY LEGITMATE QUESTION. I don't blame anyone for asking it, because it's totally fair ground to ask that. So if you're curious, go ahead and ask; I won't blow up.

BUT. I've answered this question so many times that I'm starting to sound like a broken record. I feel like I should print out pamphlets or something.

"You should write a story about ___!"

Granted, this isn't exactly a question. But still. I don't need help coming up with ideas, trust me. I have plenty.


I don't get asked many questions--which could be good or bad, I'm not entirely sure. I'll add to this list as time goes on.

Writer or not, answer this: what questions do you get asked on a regular basis that annoy you?

Until later,

- Justyne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...