Thursday, September 1, 2016

Traditions (BEDS 001)

On September 1st, 2013, I took a walk to the nearest Tim Hortons, with my laptop in tow, and plopped myself down for a writing session that ended up providing me with more work than I originally anticipated. During my pre-writing procrastination session, I stumbled upon an event of sorts. The "Write Fifteen Minutes a Day" challenge (or WFMAD, for short) was started by miss Laurie Halse Anderson on her own blog 6 years prior. The goal was small and simple--commit to writing fifteen minutes a day for one month. Easy, right? At face value, sure. But when do I ever take the easy way out?

I accepted the challenge, but with my own twist. Under the assumption that one blog post would take me approximately fifteen minutes to write, I decided to upload a new post on my blog--which, at the time, had only been in existence for barely six months--every day in September. Little did I realize at the time that my poor blogging skills would result in much scrambling over the course of the month, and that this spontaneous challenge really deserved a lot more thought than I initially gave it.

But when do I ever think anything through?

Still, though, I perservered, and came away from the month with thirty new blog posts and the new appreciation for only having to upload once a week. (Of course, that quickly became twice a week...but that's another story for another time.)

A year later, the challenge returned--refreshed and revamped, I turned it into my own little event. From then on, I referred to the month as BEDS--or Blog Every Day in September. 2014 yielded a slightly less successful year, but I still walked away with 26/30 attempted posts going up more or less according to schedule.

In 2015...well, I kinda skipped 2015. We don't talk about 2015.

But now I'm back, with the Fourth Annual Blog Every Day in September Challenge! There will be tears, there will be laughter, there will be complete and utter chaos as I struggle to remain on course for the month--all while going to university, because yes, friends--I am that insane.

Mondays and Wednesdays will keep their regularly scheduled content, but every other day will be a complete free-for-all that will undoubtebly result in many, many shenanigans. So buckle up and prepare for the ride, whatever chaos it may bring!

Until tomorrow,

- Justyne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...