Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Education vs. Career (BEDS 020)

My stance on university has always remained the same: take courses you're interested in, and find a job later. Education first, career second. I haven't failed to notice, though, the value society puts in the career you have after.

I'm not naive enough to believe that wanting a good job is not a motivating factor for attending university. In fact, if I'm being completely, 100% honest, it's a big reason I reapplied. It's a common reason, and an extremely valid one. If you want to be a lawyer because of the big, fat paycheck you'll get, I applaud you! (Mostly because I find law extremely dull and confusing, and I would never, ever, pursue it.)

But I hate--hate--when the topic turns to what I'm going to do after school. I hate that so many people view the lack of an intended career path as a downfall, a weakness, a liability. I resent all of the condescending thoughts that my degree is useless, or that the courses I'm taking will not benefit my future.

This year, I decided to take Japanese. It had no relation to any of my major requirements. The credit probably wasn't going to do me many favours on my transcript. But I took it in my first year, I liked it, I was good at it. I wanted to increase my conversational skills in the language, so I registered for the course.

Of course, I ended up dropping it after the first class, but that's another story entirely.

When I first started my degree, I hated it. The courses in my major were too broad, too general, too....bleh. I had no interest, so I dropped out. But the longer I'm here, the more narrowed the classes get, the more I like them. The more I'm interested. The more I actually care about what I'm learning, as opposed to the piece of paper I'm going to get afterwards.

I may have been prompted back into university with the possibility of a better job, but I stick around because I am invested.

The things we discuss in class are things that pique my interest. I'm taking a course in Canadian comics, with books on the syllabus that I'm genuinely excited to read. I'm taking a popular literature and film class, and on the very first day we screened Inside Out. (Even more impressively, I managed not to cry.) I'm taking a class about fairy tales--FAIRY TALES. If that's not the literal most perfect class for me, I don't know what is.

Even though school stresses me out, and I breathe a sigh of relief every time a break comes along, I am genuinely happy to be here. I am genuinely excited about what I'm studying, about (some of) the papers I'm assigned to write. And that's how it should be.

Sometimes you need a degree to do what you really want to do--but, as I've said before, I have never been one of those people. So right now, all I care about is being challenged, thinking critically, and being exposed to new perspectives that I wouldn't have seen otherwise.

At least that way, I'll have some pride in the piece of paper I get at the end of it all, instead of disappointment from not getting the career I set my mind on.


Until later,

- Justyne

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...