Friday, August 8, 2014

Mid-Year Resolutions

Remember back in December, when we all made those optimistic resolutions for the new year? Remember when we promised ourselves that we would work out more, or be a nicer person, or finally finish that project we started 6.5 years ago?  Remember that? That probably seems like a distant memory now, huh. Now we've all returned to our old ways of marathoning Netflix shows, being cynical, and putting off that project for another 365 days.

And look--surprise, surprise, once the new year rolls around yet again, your resolutions are the exact same as the year before. And if they're different, it's only because you gave up and decided to pursue something else--oh, don't give me that look. It's true, and you know it. (If, by some miracle, it's not, then it's only because you are some mystical creature, documented in legend alongside the unicorn.)

This year, I developed a new mindset for New Year's Resolutions. Every year prior, I viewed them as a habit to start right as soon as January 1st hit--if I missed a day, then the resolution would be broken, and I would be considered a failure. I never lasted more than a day or two--I think my longest record was probably a week, and I'm still convinced that that was a fluke. This, it seems, did nothing other than make me feel bad about myself for being unable to turn my life around in a day.

So this year, I split my normal resolutions into two different categories: "Resolutions" and "Goals". My "Resolutions" would now be restricted to habits I wished to form in the coming year--for example, to stop procrastinating, to live a healthier lifestyle, to be a nicer person, etc etc. My "Goals", on the other hand, are exactly what they sound like--projects or tasks that I wanted to have done by the end of the year. For example, to complete the rough draft of a manuscript, to finish a certain amount of concept art for a graphic novel or other visual project, to start a new blog, etc etc.

The thing both my resolutions and goals have in common is that neither of them have to be finished right on January 1st. The goals, obviously, are going to be things that I can't finish in a day, which is kind of the point. I've given myself the whole year to do them. But the same goes for my resolutions--if, on January 2nd, I fail to act in accordance to a resolution, that's totally fine. It's just one day, not a complete failure. Obviously I want to start off the year strong--if my resolution is to blog every day, I don't want to wait until March to start doing it. But the idea is to keep working on it. As long as I've formed the habit by year's end, I'll consider it a success.

One day, when I was looking up different ways to stop procrastinating (which we all know was just another way for me to procrastinate, let's be honest), I came across a tip. Somebody suggested to start your day over at 2 pm--if you've spent the morning / early afternoon wasting time on Facebook or YouTube or whatever, don't let the rest of the day go to waste. Refocus your attention to the tasks that need it, and treat 2 pm like the start of a new day.

I liked that tip. I felt that it applied to me, as someone who eagerly brushes off the rest of the day as "wasted" after spending just a tad too much time on social media in the morning. So I thought, why not apply it to my New Year's Resolutions?

Recently, I dug up my resolutions and goals for 2014. Some of them I had neglected slightly--like reading every night (resolution) and completing a finished, revised and edited manuscript (goal). Some I had forgotten about entirely, like becoming more self-confident (resolution) and learning how to manage my time better. (I listed this last one as a goal, but it seems to be more of a resolution, now that I think about it.) And a couple I simply don't have any interest in pursuing any longer--like getting my license / a car. (Ha! HA HA! 2013 Me was funny.)

It's August, now. (Even though it was JUST March like two days ago I swear to God.) We have entered the second half of the year--the 2 pm of 2014. It's time to re-evaluate and re-focus...and for me, that means quite a bit of work.


What were your 2014 resolutions? Have you been triumphant (so far), or have they fallen back, forgotten and left to collect dust? And if they have...are you willing to dig them up again?

Until later,

- Justyne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...