Monday, August 18, 2014

Peaceful (Micro-Fiction Monday)

Every Monday, I post a piece of flash fiction--a story clocking in at 300 words or less. Each story can also be found on my deviantART and Wattpad pages. Enjoy!

~~

Blue skies are my favourite thing. Those clear, sunny days, when there’s not a cloud in sight, and all I can see for miles and miles is the deepest, richest blue that I’ve ever seen. I live for those days.
                
I think he does, too, because those are always our most peaceful days—the days that I insist on doing nothing, and drag him down to the nearest valley or field with me. We lie in the grass, and we start up at the sky, and everything is perfect.
                
He loves it. I know he does. He just would never admit it.
                
“Can we go back, now?” he whispers in my ear. Which isn’t a hard thing to do, really, as the side of my head is brushing up against his shoulder. I could hear him breathing a few seconds ago, before he broke the silence with his annoying question.
                
“Not yet,” I whisper in reply. “Just a little longer.”
                
“But...it’s boring.”
               
  “It’s peaceful.
                
“Yeah, and ‘peaceful’ is boring.”
                
I sigh and sit up. I open my mouth, about to protest, when a battle cry echoes through the sky, interrupting me.
                 
He sits up beside me, alert, hand reaching for the blade lying on the ground beside him. At least a dozen or so armed warriors come bursting out of the forest, the silver metal of the blades glinting in the sunlight.
                
Of course they would do this today. Of course.
                
“Come on,” he says quickly. His hand is on my arm, now, hoisting me up and ushering me backward. “Let’s go.”
                
Just before we break into a run, though, I can’t help but smirk as I eye him. “What did you just say about boring?”
                
He doesn’t reply.

~~

Until later,

- Justyne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...