Saturday, August 31, 2013

Surprise Visits and Juggling



Oh, how I love surprising people!

This past Tuesday I found myself in Saskatchewan, surprising the close friend pictured above (on the left; I'm on the right). This is something that I've been planning with her boyfriend for about a month or so now, and I was so, so, SO happy to finally get the chance to do it! Even though I only got to spend one full day with her, seeing her was fantastic and I had so much fun. :)

Now, moving on.

Am I the only one who sucks at juggling? Not the physical, three-balls-three-bowling-pins kind of juggling (although I suck at that, too). I'm talking about juggling in the figurative sense; juggling work, juggling school, juggling family and friends and sleep. Juggling time.

I've always sucked at this. It never mattered how many to-do lists, schedules, resolutions, plans, or promises I made; one thing would always end up taking precedence over the others. Sometimes it was writing. Sometimes it was time with friends. Sometimes it was Sims. (A lot of the time it was Sims.) I favour one thing over the others, and focus on that for days, weeks...sometimes even months, if I'm into it enough.

I'm the same way with my writing projects, too, now that I think about it. I start one project. I work on it for days, weeks, months. Then I get bored; I switch to another project, or start a new one entirely. It's because of this that I have so many unfinished short stories, and why I'm always jumping back and forth between writing projects. It's part of the reason why I have such a hard time finishing the things that I start.

It's frustrating. Reeeaaally frustrating. It's frustrating because I have such a short attention span, and because--despite all they taught me about time management in university--I still fail to be good at it.

I love wangin' it. I love the spontaneity, the excitement, the freedom that comes from not planning every second of your day, every day of your life. But sometimes, it does make it hard to get stuff done. It's hard to juggle when you don't know how many balls are about the get thrown your way.

(Ooooooh check me out, using all of my fancy-shmancy metaphors. I'm deep.)

It takes practice, I think. A lot of practice.

But hey, I have the next 12 months ahead of me to practice. I'm sure I'll get it right.

Eventually.

Until later,

- Justyne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...