Friday, August 2, 2013

Hiding in the Bathroom

Of all the places I thought I'd ever be blogging from, I don't think I ever quite considered this one. And yet, here I am. For those of you curious, I'm hiding from my ladle-wielding sister. It's a bit of a long story, involving things like blankets and disabled iPhones and my mom saying stuff like, "Put down that shoe." Just another day in the life of me, I guess.

(Do you think it's safe now? Whatever, might as well finish off before I go bounding back out into the war zone.)

You'd think that after 18 years I'd be the pro at avoiding distractions, with all of this chaos raging around me. And yet I still find myself watching episodes of 'Til Debt Do Us Part and Kitchen Nightmares instead of writing.

I think my biggest problem is that I welcome distractions. It's probably why I leave the TV on when I sit down to write, and why I bring my laptop upstairs in the company of my family. I hate focusing on one thing for too long, but at the same time that's the only way I can ever get stuff done.

I'm getting better, I think. I block distracting websites when I'm writing. I've learned to block out other people--for the most part, anyway. But still, these things only lead to a few measly hundred words a day. Better than nothing, I guess, but definitely something to be improved upon.

(Quick update from the war front: I have left the bathroom and my sister hasn't started attacking me with a ladle. Yet.)

But anyway, I'm trying. I'm writing every day, no matter how many words I get down. So at least there's that. I'll get the hang of this eventually.

If my sister doesn't kill me first, anyway.

Until later,

- Justyne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...