Friday, October 4, 2013

Eenie Meenie Minie Mo (NaNoWriMo Prep, Week 1)

With the start of October comes the beginning of The Most Stressful Time of the Year.

No, not Christmas. NaNoWriMo; or National Novel Writing Month.

I'm 99% sure that I've mentioned NaNoWriMo before, but in case I haven't (or there are still people reading this who aren't familiar with it), NaNoWriMo is a giant worldwide event which challenges writers to complete a 50,000+ word novel in 30 days. It takes place every November, which is coming up fast.

Which means, it's time to start prepping our novels.

So for the next four weeks, up until November actually starts, I'll be blogging about my adventures prepping my own novel, and hopefully pass on some tips to you, as well.

The first and most important step to prepping for NaNoWriMo is to come up with the actual story. If you're like me, you have a stash of ideas that build up throughout the year, just waiting for November to come along (or for you to finish your million other projects to allow adequate time for something new). I have one story in particular that I recently came up with, and I would love to dive into it for NaNoWriMo.

Problem is, I have one other idea that I would love to work on, as well.

Last November I wrote a story entitled The Neutral for NaNoWriMo. Due to the length of the story, I had to sort of cut it off half-way through (otherwise I wouldn't have finished by the end of November 30th). Since I have yet to write the second half, I figured NaNoWriMo would be as good a time as any. And that's been my plan, basically since I finished the first half of the story last November.

But then I thought of that new idea I mentioned earlier and, well, now I'm stumped.

Sometimes it is as easy as playing a quick little game of "Eenie Meenie Minie Mo". But no matter how many times I try it, I still find myself yearning to write the other story. I've been flip flopping between the two endlessly over the past few days.

So many stories, so little time.

For now, I think I've made my decision. I think I know which story I'm going to go with.

Which one? Well, I guess you'll just have to wait and see.


Until later,

- Justyne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...