Sunday, October 20, 2013

Floating Amnesiac (Snippet Sunday)

Every Sunday, I grab a snippet of writing hidden somewhere on my computer and post it here, for your enjoyment. Today's passage is the new-and-improved (i.e. completely rewritten) prologue from The Neutral, a story I began during NaNoWriMo 2012. Enjoy!

~~

I have no memory. Or at least, none of my own.

For as long as I can remember, I have been floating. There has never been anything around me; nothing but hot, white light. I don’t remember anything about myself; my name, my past, even what I look like is all fuzzy, like it was all a part of one big dream.

Voices echo around me sometimes. Most often they are regal voices, speaking in monotone voices that would put me to sleep--if I could sleep, that is. Sometimes, though, there are female voices; gossiping, teasing, whispering, giggling. The words are never coherent. Just a shallow buzz, muffled conversations, and laughter to jokes I could never hear.

Until finally, a voice echoes around me, her words finally becoming clear.

“Orlena! Come on, Orlena, it’s not that bad.”

Orlena? Is that my name? No, it can’t be. It doesn’t sound right.

But if I’m not Orlena…who is?

~~

Until later,

- Justyne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...