Friday, July 11, 2014

"Aspiring"

There is no such thing as an aspiring writer--you either write, or you don't.

If you are a writer, you've probably heard that statement--or some variation of it--at least once, and for good reason.

I feel like, too often, the term "writer" is synonymous with a career--any career--that involves writing. If you refer to yourself as a writer, people automatically assume that you're not only a professional, but successful and financially well-off, as well. I think it happens with other artistic pass times, too; artists, painters, poets, you name it. 

I'm guilty of it, myself. Just look at my blogger bio! "Aspiring writer". How do you "aspire" to write? "Oh, I want to write someday! But not today. I'm too busy today."

Seems more like procrastination to me. Trust me, I'm an expert. (Kinda.)

When I made my first e-mail address, I chose the name "futur_writer". I cringe now, not only because of the terrible spelling (I confused it with the French word, okay? It was one time!), but because of how...wrong it was. I was working on a book series--I think that more than qualifies the title of "writer". No futur/e required.

I think, instead of aspiring "writer", we need to say things like "aspiring novelist" or "aspiring poet". "Writer" is too broad a term, anyway. I love writing, but I definitely like some mediums much more than others. (Has anyone seen me ever enjoy writing an essay for school? Didn't think so.)


You shouldn't aspire to simply write in general--you should aspire to improve.


Until later,

- Justyne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...