Sunday, February 16, 2014

Distractions (Part II)

About a year ago, I wrote a blog post about distractions. 12 months later, and I'm still getting as distracted as I was then. (And I still have a Sims game open in my taskbar. Some things never change.)

Here are a few new-and-improved tips to avoid various distractions:

1. Chase everyone away

Of course, if you have sisters like mine, this isn't exactly easy. Try putting a "do not disturb" sign on your door--and lock it, if you can. Keep your phone on silent and stay away from instant messengers, like Facebook and Skype. Make sure everyone knows that your writing is important, and you need time alone to get it done. Hopefully they'll understand and leave you alone. If they don't, well...

2. Designate a special "Writing Zone"

Maybe you work best in your room, or in a library or a coffee shop. Either way, get your butt down in a chair somewhere--preferably away from the television--and get to work. This can also help you get away from certain pestering younger siblings, you insist on knocking on your door even when you specifically say not to. (I'm looking at you, Mackayla.)

3. Turn the music off--or, get some playing

Maybe you work better in complete and utter silence. Or maybe you're like me, and the quiet drives you absolutely insane. Figure out which applies to you, and create playlists that match. Maybe you like movie soundtracks, or a collection of songs that help inspire the story you're writing. Either way, cranking up that music can help block out other noises around the house that could distract you.

If you prefer to work in silence, though, finding a really quiet place to work can be hard. Try a library, if you can; if you can't, for whatever reason, I would suggest listening to some white noise or rain effects to block out the TV playing in the next room or gossiping family members upstairs.

If you just like background noise, like me, I would definitely recommend Coffitivity. It plays the hustle and bustle you would normally hear at a coffee shop or restaurant, without actually having to leave your house. (Perfect for a hermit like me!)

4. Habit helps

Back in November, I made it a habit to write 500 words when I first woke up in the morning. Personally, I find that making a habit out of writing makes it easier to focus, and harder to get distracted. If you work on a story regularly, as well, it's a lot easier to fall back into the rhythm of the plot each day, rather than going days or weeks without spending time on it.

5. Sprint, don't marathon

As I discovered during last NaNoWriMo, working in sprints inspires more productivity than trying to focus for hours on end. Ten, twenty, and even thirty minute sprints allow me to stay focused a heck of a lot easier than if I try to block out my distractions for an hour or more. Write for half an hour, do some laundry. Write for ten more minutes, clean my room. Spreading out your writing time in smaller increments throughout the day still allows you to get a lot done, while making it easier to focus and concentrate enough to actually be productive.

And finally...

6. Un-bookmark Tumblr

Just do it.


Do you have any more tips for avoiding distractions? Have any of these, or the tips provided in my last blog post, worked for you? Comment below and tell me!


Until later,

- Justyne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...