Monday, May 9, 2016

Micro Fiction Monday: Runaway

I ran away from home.

Was it really my home anymore? For sixteen years, I was lied to. The people I thought loved me, the women who I thought were my family, they were nothing but imposters. They lied to me about who I was, where I came from….even my damn name.

Some birthday present.

But Phillip…he’d help me. We met in town, one of the few times my aunts allowed me on the trip—I know why now. They were scared someone would recognize me, or them. That someone would realize what happened, that word would get back to…to that witch.

I didn’t care about the witch. I wasn’t scared. She wouldn’t come for me if I never went back to the palace.

The palace…for so long, it had been the image of dreams and hope. I could always see the tips of it above the trees, so close but so far. It used to be my favourite sight, and now I couldn’t even stand to think about it.

But Phillip could help me. We would run away, never turn back. It was our only chance. He said he had a birthday present for me, but I would sell whatever it was. Our life together would be my present. It’s all I wanted.

But getting lost in the woods is easy, even if you’ve spent your whole life navigating them. The trees begin to look the same, green blending with green until nothing looks familiar anymore.


The only thing leading me on was a black crow, always two feet ahead of me--my only hint that I wasn’t running totally blind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...