Friday, November 7, 2014

Commuting

Today's and every other blog post published in November has been pre-written and scheduled for upload about a month or so in advance. The less I have to blog, the more time I have to dedicate to my NaNoWriMo project! Just like last year, you can put your attention towards the progress bar on the right to see how I'm doing.

See you all in December!

~~

One of the many things living in the city has introduced me to is the Wonderful World of Public Transportation.

Make no mistake: I'm no stranger to it. I used to take the bus everywhere during university. (Thank God for student bus passes.) The buses here, though....well, they're different. There are more routes, more transfers...and I don't have a bus pass anymore. (And they're pretty expensive...especially for someone who, at the time of writing this blog post, hasn't started working yet.) (Don't worry, though--by the time this goes up I'll be working. Probably.)

Aside from getting lost once (only once! And I asked for directions so it all worked out), taking the bus has gone fairly smoothly for me. And since I'm no longer staring out the window in the panicky fashion of someone not yet used to the Winnipeg transit system, I've started to let my mind wander.

Some of the commutes I take to different places of the city are long--anywhere from twenty minutes to almost a full hour. It gives me a bit of time to myself, which is nice. I like those moments when I don't have to focus on or worry about anything--I can just think about whatever, or nothing at all. It's the reason I love long car rides, plane rides, and that 36 hour train escapade I took over the summer. I'm not obligated to do anything during that time--I can just plug in my music and go.

(Or I could if I had headphones. I left my last pair in my pockets by accident and...well. Waterlogged.)

While taking the bus can be...difficult sometimes (if I find myself stranded at a grocery store for an hour again I SWEAR), I don't entirely dislike the experience.

Most of the time, I rather like it.


Until later,

- Justyne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...