Friday, March 18, 2016

So You Want to Be a Workaholic

Me and Productivity (Productivity and I?), we have a complicated relationship.

I always associated productivity with being a workaholic. Because in my mind, apparently, that's the only true way to get anything done. When I was in middle school, I had little to no extra-curriculars, and that drove me insane. I wanted to be doing everything, all the time, and doing it well.

Then, in grade 11, I got my first taste of that--of taking courses that left me with a substancial amount of homework, of working my first real job, among doing the same things I had always done. It wasn't even that much, really, but it was enough to make me realize that I was an absolute moron. Having so much to do and so little time to do it was absolutely no fun at all, and led more to stress than to actual work being done. (Sidenote: stress cries are probably the worst kinds of cries. Similarly, stress headaches are basically Satan's children.)

AND YET. Despite this, this first-hand experience at how absolutely horrid working 24/7 can actually be, I still find myself looking up to people who manage to pull it off. I see people who get more done in a day than I could hope to get done in ten, who have so many projects and manage to update all of them almost flawlessly, and I want to be them. I want to meet them all one day, grab their shoulders and give them a shake, screaming, "HOW IN GOD'S NAME DO YOU DO IT??!?"

I want to follow in their footsteps. I want to do as they do. But I've tried, and I really, really don't think I can, for several reasons:

1. I like sleep.
2. I have a slight addiction to the Sims franchise, which will continue to provide an enormous amount of problems, until the day finally arrives that I learn how to make money from playing it all day.
3. I have this thing where I think of something incredible and just zone out for minute. Or several. (Normally on the bus. Sometimes when someone is talking to me, occasionally about something Very Important.)
4. Click bait articles.
5. I believe strongly in rewarding myself when I do even the slightest productive thing, which leads to several hours of enjoying said rewards, and only one of actually earning them.
6. I have perfected the art of tricking my brain into believing that unproductive things are actually productive. (Examples include: scrolling through Tumblr while "building up my queue" for my Christmas blog, watching YouTube videos for ideas for my own (currently nonexistent) YouTube channel, and reading articles about how to be more productive.)
7. I get very emotionally attached to fictional characters.
8. It's 1:21 in the afternoon. Clearly I have to wait for 2:00 to start fresh and be productive.
8.5. It's 2:01 in the afternoon. I missed my chance, so clearly
9. It's only Friday. I have the whole weekend.
9.5. It's Sunday. I haven't done any work, but I have the whole day.
9.75. It's Tuesday morning, and I still haven't done any work. But who starts fresh on a Tuesday? Clearly I have to wait until
10. My roommate just got home and I have to bore her with all the details of my life.
11. Did I mention sleep?

I feel this is something I need to accept about myself. Maybe someday I'll master the art of being productive, but today is not that day.


What are your favourite methods of procrastination?

Until later,

- Justyne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...