Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Review: Keeping the Moon

WARNING: The following blog posts contain spoilers for the novel under review, ranging from mild to heart wrenchingly major. If you have yet to read this novel and dislike being spoiled, leave now and return upon completion.

If you HAVE read this novel (or just don't give a crap about spoilers), then continue on.


But don't say I didn't warn you.

~~

HELLO, FRIENDS! This week we revisit my favourite author for one of her earlier books--Keeping the Moon! (Techincally another reread, but it's been so long since I've read this particular novel that I had forgotten 95% of the plot before I sat down to read it again!)

THE PLOT-Y BIT

Colie has always been an outcast. First it was because she was fat. Then, even after her mother skyrocketed to informercial fame with her "FlyKiki" workout videos and helped her shed the extra weight, cruel and untrue rumours began to circulate, ensuring that her life remained as lonely as it's always been. When her mother leaves for her European tour, she sends Colie off to live with her aunt Mira--eccentric, overweight, and the subject of her own rumours that seem to bother Colie more than they bother her.

After an unexpected shift at the Last Chance restaurant, Colie is offered a waitressing job, where she meets Morgan and Isabel. The two are best friends, as close as you can be, and together they team up to teach Colie the art of confidence, standing up for yourself, and most importantly, friendship.

THE REVIEW-Y BIT

Some of Dessen's earlier books--That Summer, Dreamland, and, of course, Keeping the Moon--are shorter, probably because she was a newer author at the time. These books are half the size of all of her newer stuff, but thankfully, the pacing doesn't suffer because of it. A smaller book for a smaller story--exactly how it should be!

One of the biggest differences I noticed when comparing this to her newer stuff is that many of her newer books involve conflicts between the main character and their parents--something I talked about in my last review. But this time around, the conflict was almost entirely focused on Colie. It was more internal than external, which is something that I love to see. Internal conflicts are always more interesting because they're much more personal; it's not something that we see going on a lot because it's something we most often keep to ourselves. 

The thing that sucked about this, though, was that Colie's mother was hardly present in the book. Their relationship was an interesting one--they seemed rather close, and Colie's admiration of her mother and her mother's bravery was apparent throughout the story, and their relationship is one that I would have liked to see a little more of.

Speaking of relationships, the romantic one between Colie and Norman was a little...disappointing. The romance is one of the biggest reasons I'm such a hardcore Dessen fan, but whereas her other books spread the romance out throughout the story, this one seemed to happen in a more compact fashion towards the end. We had a couple moments here and there, but for the most part it wasn't addressed until the very end, after Colie had just about finished her journey to self confidence. I would have liked to see their relationship develop a little more, just so that it doesn't feel quite as rushed towards the end.

The other relationships, though, were spot on. The friendship Isabel and Morgan shared was compelling and real. Dessen's trend of including a compelling cast of side characters wasn't lost in this book, and I loved seeing these two interact. I only wish Colie had found someone with whom she could be the same way. She always seemed, to me, like an outsider to their friendship. Including someone she could bond with has closely as Isabel and Morgan would have been fantastic to see.

And finally, Mira. Sweet, sweet Mira. Reading about Mira was an interesting experience for me. In the beginning, Colie was embarrassed to be seen with Mira in public--and, since she's fifteen, I could definitely see where she was coming from. I'm sure at that age that I'd be cringing, too. (I probably did, actually, the first time I read this book.)

But now, as a twenty-year-old semi-surviving the Real Adult World, I didn't feel the need to cringe at all. In fact, Mira quickly became my favourite character--her quirky personality was downright adorable, and the fact that she was so confident in herself was absolutely inspiring. She heard the whispers, what the townsfolk said about her, and she straight up didn't care. Not a care was given by that woman, and it was fantastic. She never shied away from who she was, and she never tried to change--not even when Colie's mother sent her all of her workout tapes and equipment.

Both Colie and Mira called Kiki the brave one, and I'm not denying that she is--but Mira was just as brave, if not more so. I'm almost glad that Colie didn't get the chance to stand up agianst her aunt's bullies, because Mira didn't need it in the slightest.

THE STAR-Y BIT

Overall, I did enjoy this book--I mean, c'mon, how can I not enjoy a Sarah Dessen book--but it fell short to where some of her other books have soared. I give it four stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...