Monday, April 27, 2015

Micro Fiction Monday: The Other Girl

Every Monday, I post a piece of flash fiction--a story clocking in at around 300 words. Each story can also be found on my deviantART page. Enjoy!

~~

I watched the prince dance from afar. He moved so gracefully, and why wouldn’t he? He was born into this life, full of balls and princesses and royalty. This was second nature to him.

I shifted my focus to the grandly decorated walls, the marble columns, the high ceilings and brightly lit chandeliers. I grew up within the shadow of the palace, but this was my first time being inside. I suppose I should have considered myself lucky; lucky to be the same age as the prince, lucky to be given this opportunity to attend the annual ball. But maybe I would have been better off not knowing what the inside looked like.

My eyes drifted back down to the prince, my heart filled with the same longing I had felt the first day I saw him. He came to my family’s bakery, once; he made eye contact with me, thanked me sincerely for my pastries. My heart had fluttered, my stomach filled with butterflies, mind filled with dreams of what could be. In another life, maybe, but not this one. I could tell from the way he looked at the girl he danced with.

Days later, guards came from the palace with a proclamation. The girl who could fit the slipper would marry the prince, and my heart fluttered once again, my mind daring to dream a second time. It was a masquerade ball, after all—as long as my feet were small enough, who could possibly tell the difference? This could be the other life I was dreaming of.

But the shoe didn’t fit. Of course it didn’t fit.

~~

Until later,

- Justyne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...