Friday, March 14, 2014

Prepare Yourselves...

...for Camp NaNoWriMo.

If you'll recall, I attempted Camp NaNoWriMo last August; with, uh, somewhat less than successful results.

The first round of Camp NaNoWriMo 2014 is coming up next month, in April, and I think I'm ready to give it another go.

I think one of my favourite parts about Camp NaNoWriMo is that is has more options than the regular NaNoWriMo. You have the option to write a novel, or a script or collection of short stories. You can set your own word count, be it the traditional 50,000 or 25,000 or 100,000. It makes the challenge more interesting; everyone's working not only on different stories, but in different mediums and at different lengths. (This year, I'm working on a novel told through a collection of short stories, all based on fairy tales.)

Another thing I like about it are the cabins--completely optional, but really cool. Last summer I was introduced to a whole new online writing community, that have since helped me power through my writing in sprints. Cabins are a great way to meet new people, who are working on projects similar to yours. (You can also request specific cabin mates, but what's the fun in that?)

Writing in a group is fun. It was something I always loved about my creative writing class, and continued to love during Camp NaNoWriMo last year. (Even though most of my cabin mates lived in the UK and thus were always sprinting at times I was unavailable for.)

If you've ever wanted to participate in NaNoWriMo, but the 50,000 word goal was too daunting for you, I would suggest giving Camp NaNoWriMo a try next month. Set your own goal, and come join in on the fun!


Are you participating next month?

Until later,

- Justyne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...